ampersandology: film. culture. words.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Campy Teen Soaps and Other Mysteries




by Jillian Butler, Ampersandology

Did you celebrate 90210 Day yesterday? That's right: September 2nd, 2010 = 9/02/10 Day. There's no day when the human race wouldn't be better served flouting a long-dead campy teenage hot mess. What a glorious age we live in!

My own memories of Beverly Hills 90210 begin and end with one item of clothing: a relative had purchased a nightdress for me with Luke Perry's face on it, under the mistaken impression that being both a girl and often awake meant that I like looooooooved OMG Beverly Hills 90210. Sadly, this was untrue; being 10 meant that I was usually in bed . For one thing, I had no idea who Luke Perry was, and I thought he was funny looking; I do not yet disagree with my younger self. Anyway, I figured that as long as I had the nightdress (emblazoned, as it was, with all the neons of the rainbow) I might as well watch the show. I was unimpressed, but now look back on that

To celebrate the just-passed 90210 Day, let's revisit this delicious old nugget from Aught '08, re-imagining the credits of the Citizen Kane of Our Time in the vein of precious early 1990s teen-y soap operas.



However, if all this confuses you, you clearly weren't watching television by 1992, and you will kindly leave this blog. Leave it now. If you missed the Berlin Wall, we just can't be friends.

But on another note, Chuck Bass, ladies and gentlemen.


Have a suggestion for a future Ampersandology topic? Got something you’d like to say? All feedback welcome! Shoot us an email at ampersandology@gmail.com, or follow Ampersandology on Facebook

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails