ampersandology: film. culture. words.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Beer and Sad Music




by Jillian Butler, Ampersandology







Guy Maddin is my kind of national treasure: an absolute weirdo who has enough talent and vision to fill the Yukon Territories. Wait, was that metaphor not Canadian enough? Should I have mentioned poutine? Two tier health care? Rock Voisine? 


Anyway. 


I offer you this, the trailer for his 2003 film The Saddest Music in the World. It is a splendid film. Isabella Rossellini has glass legs filled with beer; I'm pretty sure that fact alone  shoots it to the tops of everyone's Must See list. In fact, YOU (yes, you!) should watch it. It's for your own good. 


But it's mostly for my own good: the phrase "If you're sad, and you like beer, then I'm your lady" has been in my roster for a good three years now, and I'm tired of people looking at me like I'm cuckoo. It's a great line, okay? It should be up there with "You talkin' to me?" and "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" 


I was going to mention the number one classic line, "YOU WERE A TOMATO!!! A TOMATO DOESN'T HAVE LOGIC! A TOMATO CAN'T MOVE!" But quite frankly, it's not fair to the other lines. 




Have a suggestion for a future Ampersandology topic? Got something you’d like to say? All feedback welcome! Shoot us an email at ampersandology@gmail.com, or follow Ampersandology on Facebook

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails