ampersandology: film. culture. words.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Norman Bates...Dreamboat (question mark)




by Jillian Butler, Ampersandology


What's new with me, you ask? Oh, only EVERYTHING BAD EVER. A few friends and I went to take in Psycho recently at the newly launched TIFF Lightbox. I have seen Psycho at least six times, but never on a large screen, and I went anticipating nothing other than a renewed appreciation for my least liked Hitchcock film. 


And, uh. Okay. Big wrong. 


Anthony Perkins, 1960




Andrew Garfield, 2010.
It began, dear readers, when I realized Anthony Perkins reminds me a whole lot of Andrew Garfield. This is was kind of novel, because I think Andrew Garfield is just the cutest thing. But then the similarities continued beyond the superficial resemblance: they've both got this really endearing, baby ostrich quality about them, and a nervous vibe fueled by a fretful sort of social skittishness. Observe: 


Exhibit A: Andrew Garfield



Exhibit B: Anthony Perkins



If you watch Psycho again with that in mind and it will bother you. It's uncanny! But it won't bother me. Because tragically, I now find Anthony Perkins attractive. Classic transference, but there you go. Freud had my number and then some, what up. 


Have you ever really watched the scene where he'd trying to dodge the private investigator? He is just one big helping of Adorable! With his little book and sweater all rolled up, chewing on gum and being all crazy. Like, what's he gonna do next? Aww, Norman, you know better than that. You little cutie. 


Oh God. 


I don't mean to exaggerate, but this turn is probably the worst event in Canadian history since Louis Riel, sexy leader of the North-West Rebellion, was hanged for high treason. Like, seriously. You guys, I don't even want to talk about it, which is why I wrote a blog post. First World problems are awesome that way. 





Have a suggestion for a future Ampersandology topic? Got something you’d like to say? All feedback welcome! Shoot us an email at ampersandology@gmail.com, or follow Ampersandology on Facebook

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails